CONCRETE & REBAR SCANNING
Our complementary range of survey services has recently expanded to include concrete and reinforcement scanning solutions.
Suitable across a broad range of projects and sectors, the latest ground penetrating radar (GPR) technology can locate and measure the layout of structural reinforcement within elements of the building structure including floor slabs, RAAC planks and concrete beams. It is also capable of detecting areas of voids within more unusual types of structure including sea wall defences and promenades.
The more traditional approach could include drilling a core sample which in turn adds unnecessary cost, damage and risk to a project. Our scanning technology reduces the need for invasive techniques and can be carried out quickly, with little or no disturbance to the building, its occupants or customers.
In addition, understanding the location of reinforcement eliminates the risk of striking the steelwork during construction which could cause injury on site, damage to equipment or weakening of the existing concrete structure.
Two recent projects which have utilised the benefits of rebar scanning include:
- A national supermarket chain where we were able to scan and record the level of reinforcement under the ground floor slab without any disruption to trading.
- Measuring and recording voids within a seawall defence programme on the Essex coastline to understand any potential areas of concern within the wall structure and recommend remediation should there be risk of collapse.
Other areas where the scanning survey can deliver value to your project:
- In residential house building programmes to detect the level of mesh reinforcement laid within the floor slab. This is especially important should contractors be replaced on a project.
- Measuring the level of reinforcement present within structures such as RAAC planks in public sector and other buildings across the UK. Scanning the planks flags up any potential issues and can allow for a full maintenance programme to be established once the problem areas have been identified.
This radar system not only delivers a faster, more efficient method of survey but with an 800mm scan depth can provide high resolution 3D imagery directly to the client, in real time.
Concrete & Rebar Scanning Overview
- Suitable for a wide range of non-invasive surveys, both internally and externally.
- A less invasive method of understanding structure performance than core drilling and sampling.
- High level of scan quality with up to 800mm scan penetration depth.
To find out more, please complete the enquiry form below to contact one of our specialist surveyors. Available across our network of UK offices, our teams of surveyors share many years’ experience and are in an ideal position to discuss your project in more detail and offer the best survey solution from our broad range of complementary services.
Location and tracing of underground utilities and buried services. Available as a standalone survey or as part of an integrated topographical or measured building survey.
To provide a full understanding of below ground site conditions and to confirm evidence of previous site use. Essential to complete prior to excavations, drilling, piling and many other construction processes.
Full range of high-pressure drainage solutions undertaken as a separate exercise or as part of a full CCTV condition survey and assessment.
Remote inspections using state-of-the-art CCTV cameras to provide high definition visual imagery in pipes, voids and areas of restricted access.